Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Rain and Bees

What a spring, I have had several inches of rain here since Sunday night. This after the wettest spring even old-timers can recall. It is wonderful and the temps are staying down as well, but it is getting in the way of something that has to be done; bee removal.

For ten years a hive of honeybees has lived in our pavilion down by the pond. Until three weeks ago they have been docile and we have enjoyed their company. It was kind of nice to see swarms move out, to have them in the flowers and know they are fulfilling Gods purpose. Three weeks ago something happened. Either a new hive moved in and took over or they decided they had been not treated with sufficient respect. I went outside one day and heard buzzing so loud it could be mistaken for a helicopter, bees were dripping out of the hive entrance by the thousands. More thousands were flying around the entrance with great speed. After a while that activity seemed to settle down, although the numbers flying around remained high. I noticed also that several bees were in the pavilion and seemed to be on guard duty. If I remained to long one would come along and sting me. The next two days one person in the family was stung a day, by one bee. A lawn party was moved 30 feet from the hive, and still guard bees came and harassed the guests.

For years I have tried to get a keeper or someone to come and take the hive, to no avail. I have talked to, literally, five dozen people about it and no one would mess with them - and that was when they were nice. So, with the new aggression which keeps us out of a big part of the yard and threatens the young children that come down by the pond from across the way regularly, I feel compelled to kill the hive. It is not what I would prefer to do, but I see no other option. When the rains stop for a day or two the process of eliminating the bees will begin. If there is any other option, I would like to know it.

Regarding yesterday's post, there is lots of interesting commentary and news going on around the Internet, check out these: http://confessingumc.org/v2/, http://www.ird-renew.org/site/pp.asp?c=fvKVLfMVIsG&b=278604

No comments: